As the world's population continues to grow and demand for fish increases, aquaculture has a key role to play in reducing sourcing pressure on wild fish stocks. It's also a more efficient way to grow protein-rich food than the farming of land animals.
Nevertheless, we're acutely aware that irresponsible fish farming can have a negative impact on the environment. That's why we only work with reputable suppliers, ones we know and trust who are focused on growing healthy salmon with absolute minimum impact on the environment and wild fish stocks.
In 2019, we became the first UK seafood supplier to voluntarily disclose our sourcing through the Ocean Disclosure Project (ODP). Established in 2015 by the Sustainable Fisheries Partnership, the ODP is dedicated to increasing transparency in seafood supply chains by encouraging seafood-buying companies to be open about the seafood they source, encouraging responsible practice.
At present, 95% of our fish is certified as responsibly sourced. We intend this to reach 100% by the end of 2020.
JCS Fish was also the first company in the UK to commit to sourcing GGN-certified salmon for our BigFish brand and we are a chain of custody supplier within the Global.G.A.P. and Aquaculture Stewardship Council standards for sustainable aquaculture practice. Although presently we only use farmed species, we are also certified to the MSC (Marine Stewardship Council) chain of custody standard for wild caught fish.
Most of our fish comes from Scotland, where we also require all suppliers to be members of the Scottish Salmon Producers Organisation (SSPO) and to observe its detailed Code of Good Practice. Our Norwegian suppliers must meet the standards of the Norwegian Seafood Council.
- Full transparency of all seafood sourcing via the Ocean Disclosure Project
- Dealing only with responsible producers who adhere to the highest production and environmental standards
- The first seafood brand in the UK to commit to GlobalG.A.P. (GGN) labelling
- Chain of Custody certification to GlobalG.A.P., Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) and Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) standards
- A supplier of Certified Organic salmon
- An RSPCA Assured supplier